Tuesday, November 3, 2009

November Sensory Tub - Thanksgiving

Those of you who live near a Michael's or some type of hobby store don't know how lucky you are! There's no such place here in Bermuda and that, as you can imagine, is a sad, sad thing for this artsy-farsty-craft-lovin' gal.

Of course my husband thinks it's a GOOD thing I can't go out and buy art and learning supplies whenever I have a whim to (which is often). And I'll admit it is kind of a good thing because I've been learning to dig deeper into that creative corner of my mind to come up with homemade versions of the stuff I can't buy.

That said, this month's sensory tub required some creative improvisation. Sure, there's more I could've/would've done if I had the materials, but that's just the nagging perfectionist in me. Truth is James is going to love it and that's all that matters.
Here's what's inside:
  • Popcorn kernels
  • Mini football confetti
  • Mini corn stalks (I cut up raffia and tied it in bunches)
  • Feathers
  • Puff balls
  • Teeny tiny wooden bowls/jugs
  • Wooden napkin rings
  • Leaf die cuts from my scrapbooking stash
  • Fir tree embellishments also from scrap stash
  • 2 wooden bowls for scooping/pouring
  • A chenille stick
  • A few Native American figurines (from a Safari Ltd. Toob - I LOVE these collections!)
The best part about this is that it only cost me $5 to make (had to buy the popcorn). The rest of the items I had on hand already! Boo-ya!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I relate all too well with you on not having a craft store nearby. We have one 40 miles away!

I love your sensory box, I don't think I would have been as creative as you were! Great Job!

DB said...

This idea is great, I'd really love to give it a try but am pretty sure it would take K all of 2 seconds before he just decided to dump the whole lot on the floor (or in the bath, which seems to be the latest thing).

Karen said...

Hi Mary-Ann!! I just found your blog on Montessori Beginnins!! and It's just SUPER!! I love it!! great ideas, great pictures, you named!!, Welcome to our Montessori Journey!!

Sincerely
Karen
www.miescuelitamontessori.blogspot.com

Counting Coconuts said...

Thanks, guys!

Susan said...

The tub is lovely! All the colors, items, textures. Great job. You've inspired me to create some good tub ideas for Turbo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails